Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Redemption for Rocky


            As I had mentioned in an earlier post, I would describe myself as a creature of habit.  When it comes to movies I will gladly re-watch a film I have seen 20 times then venture out to test my luck with a new movie.  I’ve been disappointed by so many movies in the past that re-watching an old film guarantees my satisfaction.  Of course this sounds boring and unadventurous, but it makes me happy. 

            Recently I revisited one of my all time “go to” films, 1976’s Rocky.  I can’t pinpoint the time or place when I first saw the movie, but it has somehow always been a huge part of my life.  I’m sure that everyone has that one movie that makes you stop whatever you are doing any time it comes on television.  This is my movie.  Unfortunately, Rocky seems to have gotten the short end of the stick in movie history.  Standing alone the film is fantastic.  It contains the most universally relatable idea of human perseverance and success on your own terms.  But, we all know that this classic underdog story is completely overshadowed by the franchise that was created around the movie.  As the series continued the opponents became more ridiculous (come on, Hulk Hogan and Mr. T?) as Sylvester Stallone clearly stepped up his steroid treatments.  The series ended as a joke, an insult to fans.  Let’s just make an educated guess that everything after Rocky II was created as an attempt to cash in on a guaranteed movie audience.  Now, the series has this tarnished reputation that Rocky does not deserve.  Somehow over the years I have taken this issue on as my own personal crusade, trying to convince my family and friends that Rocky is still one of the greatest films I have ever seen.  How could we forget that it won the Academy Award for Best Picture?!

            So for fans like me, is there no hope to revive the good name of the Rocky franchise?  How can the contemporary movie audience be convinced to honor Rocky as one of the greats?  In 2006, my prayers seemed to be answered in the form of Rocky Balboa.  As the 6th installment of the series, Rocky Balboa reintroduces the audience to a senior citizen version of Rocky (something I thought the insanely vain Sylvester Stallone would never go for), widowed and still living in his beloved South Philadelphia.  The story follows the aging Rocky train for an exhibition match after several television sports casters predict that Rocky could beat any modern day competitor if he were still in his prime.  The film follows the same direction as the original, placing Rocky in the underdog role, almost forcing the audience to take an emotional stake in the character.  Rocky Balboa stands as a love letter to its predecessor.  It pays homage to its origins the best way it can, by reminding viewers what movie audiences loved about this story back in 1976.  If you haven’t seen this movie, please do.  See it just to learn the right way to end a film franchise.  Who knows the next time Sylvester Stallone makes a quality movie?  And come on, who wouldn’t love hearing that Rocky score one last time?          

1 comment:

  1. Unfortunately, I have never seen a Rocky film. Not one. I was never exposed to the first two that, as you suggest, were the strongest of the series and was, instead, left with the impression that the latter films gave of a cheap, overdone franchise. I do like the idea your addressing here of the dangers of sequels though. Sometimes it’s too much of a good thing. Who hasn’t seen something ruined through excess? My mind immediately goes to the Transformers franchise. While the first in the series wasn’t a masterpiece, I did find it entertaining, but only in moderation. The sequels, which I hear has yet another addition on the way, were not necessary. But what is ever necessary in Hollywood?

    A franchise that I relate to more closely, however, is Jurassic Park. You mentioned how you believe that everyone has a movie they’ll drop everything to watch. Jurassic Park is my movie. There have been several sequels that I feel never had enough substance to be comparable to the original. The final installment, in particular, hurts just a bit to watch. Jurassic Park was originally a book and the final film contained all the elements that were omitted from the first film giving it a cheap, do-it-for-the-money kind of feel, which is not the way I would’ve liked to see the franchise end. I can only hope for the kind of redemption that Rocky received with its 2006 installment for Jurassic Park.

    ReplyDelete